E-commerce site Flipkart, a Walmart brand, received 28 sexual harassment complaints in the Financial Year 2019 that is double to last year’s number of complaints, said reports. The figures were published in EnTrackr citing reports from the Ministry of Corporate Affairs (MCA). EnTrackr said that half of the cases were reported from Flipkart’s logistics arm. Notably, last year 14 sexual harassment complaints were filed that took a long jump and doubled this year. EnTrakcr‘s report also exposed the company’s claims of having a safe environment for its employees.
Entrackr quoted lawyers and experts too on the sexual harassment cases who described the rise in the number of complaints registered as Walmart’s focus on compliance that has boosted awareness across the firm. Entrackr quoted an employee of Flipkart who requested anonymity stating there is a lot of focus on POSH (Prevention of Sexual Harassment) policies training and sensitisation on inclusivity, since last 12 months. He added that the company has been encouraging to increase diversity, including gender diversity.
According to the filings, Instakart, which runs the firm’s logistics arm Ekart, reported 13 sexual harassment complaints in FY18-19, a significant jump from 3 during FY18. Of the 13 cases, 12 were investigated during the year following which 11 were disposed of.
- Instakart, which runs the firm’s logistics arm Ekart, reported 13 sexual harassment complaints in FY19
- Interestingly, eKart also forced to dispose of at least one case where the accused had absconded which means three cases during FY18 were only investigated but never disposed of
- Flipkart: An increase in the number of reported cases may not necessarily be a bad thing because it also means that the company is creating a safe environment for the employee to speak up.
- The MeToo movement could have forced the company to focus on taking up cases of sexual harassment seriously
- Lawyers and experts say Walmart’s focus on POSH (Prevention of Sexual Harassment) policies training and sensitisation has boosted awareness across the firm.
How the case was solved:
- Flipkart fired the accused if the allegation was proven
- Disposing of the case if the allegation was not proven
- By undertaking an apology in other cases.