Under-19 World Cup 2020: The 15-member squad of India U19 has been announced with Uttar Pradesh batsman Priyam Garg leading the defending champions in the upcoming Under-19 World Cup 2020. The team was announced by the All-India Junior Selection Committee, a day after meeting in Mumbai.
India are the most successful in the past 12 editions of the tournament, winning the trophy four times. Australia have lifted the title thrice, Pakistan and England each twice. Hosts South Africa and West Indies have claimed the title once each. The 16-member tournament will be played in South Africa, starting from January 17 to February 9.
Earlier in 2018, India defeated Australia in the final of the Under-19 World Cup. Before the upcoming tournament, Garj-led side will play three-match ODI series against South Africa.
Here is all you need to know about Under-19 World Cup 2020:
- South Africa will take on Afghanistan in the opening encounter at the Diamond Oval on January 17.
- For the first time, Japan will feature in the showpiece event.
- Japan will play their first match against New Zealand at the North West University Oval on January 18.
- India will play their first match against Sri Lanka at the Mangaung Oval on January 19.
- South Africa are hosting the 13th edition of the tournament for the second time.
- There will be a total of 48 matches across the tournament.
- Two teams from each group will make it to the Super League.
- The 16 teams have been divided into four groups with four each team in each group.
- India will meet Sri Lanka, New Zealand and debutant Japan in the group stage.
Here are the group details of the Under-19 World Cup 2020:
Group A: India, Sri Lanka, New Zealand, Japan
Group B: Australia, West Indies, England, Nigeria
Group C: Pakistan, Zimbabwe, Bangladesh, Scotland
Group D: South Africa, Afghanistan, Canada, UAE